Do you Recognize Any of these Early Warning Signs of Hearing Loss?
Article provided by ENT Clinics of San Antonio
One of the worst things about hearing loss is that it comes on so gradually. While some people experience a sudden decrease in hearing, in most cases the hearing loss is more subtle. The gradual nature of hearing loss means that many people experience a marked decrease in their hearing before they notice the problem.
By that time the hearing loss can be quite profound, and that can make the condition harder to treat. As with any medical problem, the sooner you get help with your hearing loss, the more options you will have to treat it. Staying alert and watching for the early warning signs of hearing loss is important. If you notice any of these signs, you should make an appointment with your doctor.
- Asking people around you to speak up or talk more clearly.
- Being unable to keep up with conversations, especially in public settings or noisy surroundings.
- Accusing those around you of mumbling or speaking too softly.
- Having visitors complain that your stereo or television is too loud.
- Not answering questions or having people repeat their inquiries to get your attention.
- Hearing ringing in your ears.
- Watching people’s faces and watching for visual cues instead of relying on speech alone.
- Struggling or straining to hear the people around you.
- Avoiding social situations because you are worried you will not be able to keep up with the conversation.
You should also schedule a hearing examination if you have a family history of hearing loss or if you are taking medications that have been known to impact hearing. These medications are known as ototoxic drugs, and you should ask your medical provider if any of your drugs fall into that category.
You are also at higher risk of hearing loss if you are diabetic, have a circulation problem, heart disease or suffer from thyroid problems. Being exposed to loud noises, either now or in the past, could also put you at risk of hearing loss.
About ENT of San Antonio
ENT Clinics of San Antonio, P.A. is dedicated to the prevention and alleviation of human suffering in patients with medical and surgical disorders in the field of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery. A family of residency trained board-certified physicians, nurse practitioners, and numerous highly specialized ancillary employees are dedicated to the delivery of compassionate, quality, state of the art, and cost-effective healthcare