Sacrificing your sleep for something you feel is more important can lead to a major backfire to your health.The CDC has declared that sleep deprivation is a growing epidemic. Studies show that sleep deprivation leads to devastating health issues such as weight gain, diabetes, congestive heart failure and depression.
Proper sleep habits start with you and you only.
Here are the top five tips that you can begin to implement tonight to help you get the restful Z’s you need!
1. Maintain a sleep schedule 6 out of 7 days. Lost sleep cannot be made up on the weekends!
2. Unplug! Stay away from electronics before bedtime. Social media, news, email and television is stimulation to the brain.
3. Stay away from heavy meals 2 to 3 hours before bedtime. Heavy meals, especially spicy will worsen indigestion or GERD issues and wreak havoc on the digestive system during sleep.
4. Exercise is important, but try to limit your workouts 2-3 hours before bedtime. Workouts increase your heart rate making it more difficult to initiate sleep.
5. Bedroom is to be used for sleep and sex. Let me repeat that. Sleep and sex. Keep your room limited to what a bedroom is intended for. Your mattress should be a strong queue for sleep not for anxiety. Keep work and electronics out of that bedroom.