Altus Hospice Care – Cardiopulmonary Conditions
Provided By Altus Hospice Care
Cardiopulmonary Conditions are associated with impairments, activity limitations, and disability with the identification of specific structural/functional impairments and any relevant activity limitations.
Ultimately, in order to support a hospice plan of care, the combined acts of the primary cardiopulmonary condition and any identified secondary condition(s) and/or co-morbidities should be such that most beneficiaries with the identified impairments would have a prognosis of six months or less.
Secondary and co-morbid condition(s) themselves may be associated with a new set of structural/functional impairments that may or may not respond/be amenable to treatment.
Close to 25% of Medicare patients hospitalized for HF are back in the hospital within 30 days. Between 2004 and 2006, those readmissions totaled 500,000
- Symptoms persist even though the patient has been treated with diuretics and vasodilators
- Complicated by co-morbid conditions
- Complicated by secondary conditions
- Stasis ulcers and pressure ulcers
- Symptoms of CHF
- New York Association (NYHA) Class IV
- Disabling dyspnea at rest
- Poorly or unresponsive to bronchodilators, resulting in decreased functional capacity
- Prior increased visits to the ER or prior hospitalizations for pulmonary infections and/or respiratory failure
- Hypoxemia at rest on room air as evidenced by PO2 less than or equal to 55mmHg or O2 sat less than or equal to 88% or hypercapnia as evidenced by PCO2 greater than or equal to 50mmHg
- Weight loss of greater than 10% of body weight over the last 6 months
- Resting tachycardia > 100/min
- A decline in Karnofsky Performance Status (KPS) less than or equal to 70%
- Increased dependence on ADLs
- Increased frequency of respiratory infections
Altus Hospice professionals are available for patient and family consultations at any time. There is absolutely no obligation or charge to the patient. Hospice care is covered by Medicare, Medicaid, and most private insurance carriers.
For more information call 888-873-1822 or visit us at www.altushospicecare.com